Monday, November 19, 2012

Wrecking Ball (2012)

This has been a fairly constant companion for me a lot of this year, first in the late spring and summer when I had it installed in my car as a feature for a few months, and more lately just letting it come up a lot in the mix. So I'd like to put a good word in for it at this late hour, though no doubt you have already made up your own mind if you are even interested. It's the first time I've lived with a Bruce Springsteen album so intensely since Tunnel of Love (I did try very hard to establish such things with Human Touch, The Rising, and that Tom Joad one too). There's a lot of earnestness to go around here, but this was a good year for feeling earnest, and it's ultimately nice to experience it so clear-sighted, plainspoken, and yet acute too. For example, one of the most prominent themes in this set puts Springsteen at the back of a boulder pushing it up a hill attempting to reclaim Christianity. Seriously, there's a lot of Jesus and the Bible here, not just sweet beautiful strains of gospel (embedded in his DNA as birthright with rock 'n' roll, rhythm and blues, and soul). Personally, I've always been comfortable myself with the conception of Jesus the Christ as first and most immaculate hippie—it makes sense on many different levels. But of course exactly that is profoundly rejected by those carrying the biggest megaphones for Christ these days and I really don’t care to discuss it with them. I take it as just another aspect of this bizarro up-is-down world we seem to be living in now—you mean Jesus really didn't favor the poor over the rich, inherit the earth, eye of a camel, all that jazz, OK, whatever. This is the point where I begin to mumble and look down in these conversations. But there is Mr. Bruce Springsteen (as Randy Newman would say) taking it to them on the very issue, at least as far as I can make out, and it's only one of a bunch of things here that manage to touch me really deeply, as heartfelt and profoundly on point, which he has done before. Here, I mostly just appreciate hearing someone say things like "The banker man grows fatter / The working man grows thin," if only as an affirmation of what I see and feel myself. There's all kinds of basic touchstones of specific experience here. "We've been traveling over rocky ground." "This is my confession / I need your heart / In this depression / I need your heart." "We are alive." Et cetera. And that goes for this too: "If I had me a gun / I'd find the bastards and shoot 'em on sight." I know, I know, it's all role playing in the end with these things, but that's also my point. Signals such as these helped me understand I wasn't traveling alone this year.

4 comments:

  1. "I wasn't traveling alone this year." I hear ya. Been thinking the same thing about Bruce for almost 40 years. Enjoy Portland! Many of my friends will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time since Tunnel of Love when the earnestness schtick connected w/ my reality which means essentially it felt like more than a schtick. This was supposed to have been the case w/ The Rising but it just didn't click for me. Which is why I think there is something going on more musically here, too. This record splits the difference betw his poetic Jersey jive and his post-River working class hero turgidity. It's angry, sure, but its compassion is virtuosic. Bring on your "wrecking ball, give it your best shot."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I agree, it is very rich and calculated musically and effective that way -- really gorgeous and moving and powerful on that level alone, e.g., the rap (written by Springsteen, I hear), the guitar break on "Jack of All Trades," just so much of it is a pleasure to hear setting aside any "messages."

    ReplyDelete